Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What Does Becoming A Father Feel Like?


Becoming a father, and having a child is just like They said it would be (those elitist people who try to describe something that we, those who never experienced the same thing They did, could never understand).

I wanted the birth of my first child to be an incredible and unique experience, but I grew tired of the same old phrases from They. "You have to experience it to understand it." And, "It's unlike anything you have ever felt." Just sounded too generic for me.

I hate admitting that They were right about it. I have never liked blog posts like this one. We are all human right? What is so special about having a child anyway? Sigh.

I am They now. I am trying to describe what it felt like to have a child. Contrary to what They said, it was very similar to other things I have felt before, but it was indeed unique. This is what it felt like to me. 


Waiting for Good News
Have you ever been waiting for news, not sure if it would be good or bad, and the news was good? It felt like that right before the baby was born, knowing everything was probably okay, but not quite certain.

My Team Won the Championship
Have you ever been sweating in your chair as the final seconds of the game clock run out in a championship game, and your team wins? It felt like that when the baby came.

Love at First Sight 
Have you ever seen someone and felt like you would openly give them your heart without even knowing them? It felt like that, when she looked at me for the first time.

Everything is Right in the World
Have you ever had a moment where complete strangers felt like friends, you didn't have an enemy in the world, and everything else will be okay? It felt like that especially in the hospital with every stranger I walked past.

A Religious Experience
Have you ever felt like you encountered your creator? It felt like that. I was a baby all of the sudden. Then I was a father of a baby. Then I was outside my body, outside of time and space for a second... or 2 hours maybe. Somehow that all made sense and I felt very close to God.

1 comment:

GW said...

It keeps getting better too.

Gary