Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Community Part 1

I'm starting to believe that a location for a community is a prerequisite to having a community at all.

When we lived in Colorado, our community was all spread out. We lived 20 minutes away from where we went to church, and 30 minutes away from where I coached basketball, and our friends were usually at least 25 minutes away from us at any given time.

Many times while living in Colorado, I imagined a perfect world where all of our friends lived in the same neighborhood and worked in the same square mile. We all shared lawn mowers and  power tools, and we grilled and had drinks together every night of the week. I still fantasize about that sometimes.

Since we moved to Bardstown, we unfortunately have the same challenge we did in Colorado; our friends are scattered all over. Some are in Bardstown, some are 25 minutes away at the winery, some are over an hour away in Indiana. Being involved in a community is not so easy when the community lives and gathers all over the place.

I'm thinking a lot about this, and I've been writing a lot about it. I have 3 or 4 blogs to publish with all kinds theories, judgmental statements, and stereotypes just for you. Well, hopefully it won't be too bad, but I will try to keep it exciting!

No comments: