Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What You Need To Go Fly Fishing



I just went fly fishing for the first time, and it was spectacular. I even caught two brown trout! My friends showed me what to do, and they let me use their equipment. So I owe much thanks to Jeff and Ben first of all.

Since I didn't know what I needed to go fishing with my friends, I thought I'd write a blog passing that information on. I'm aiming for the least expensive way to try this sport. So, these are the things you need to go fly fishing the first time.


1. Fishing License
Getting a fishing license isn't as hard as it sounds. In Colorado, you can just walk into a grocery store and ask the person at the desk. You can also go to the Colorado Division of Wildlife website. Day license is about $9, full year is about $30. Other places in the world are much the same I'm sure, so make sure you look into the license before you fish.

2. Waders
The cheapest way to get waders is to go to Wal-Mart. We found some hip waders for $36 that did the trick. If you just want to get started and learn how to fish, this is the way to go.

3. Pole & Reel
Borrow it. Seriously. Don't go spend $200 on a fishing pole yet. Just see if you can borrow one from your friends.

4. Flies
Each river, in a given season has a handful of flies basic that are good for catching fish. You just need someone to tell you which flies to buy. I have two suggestions for you. One, go to a fly shop with your fisherman friend. If you can find a shop close to the place you are fishing, even better.Two, email my friends at info@theallenbrothers.com, or visit them online at www.theallenbrothers.com. They have flies that will catch you fish in any river.

5 Other Stuff
Here are just a few things that a lot of fisherman carry, none of which are actually vital. Sunscreen, sunglasses, oil to help dry flies to float, additional tippet, fishing line, net, vest with tools and tackle, cooler with food.

6 comments:

mm said...

Any pictures of your catch?

I've never been fly fishing, but it looks so elegant and awesome -- when I think "fly fishing" I think of the movie A River Runs Through It... Seen it? You should, if you haven't! Has Craig Sheffer, Brad Pitt, and Tom Skerritt in it, and it was directed and narrated by Robert Redford...

Lia Renee said...

You really haven't been fly fishing before? That really surprises me! I thought that's what you and Jeff did everytime you went to see him! I could've sworn you'd been before! Maybe it's because I know A River Runs Through It is one of your favorite movies (and I see Aunt Malia asked you about that!) And I know that you're a big fan of John Elderidge, who is also a fly fisher, right? I thought that was part of the reason why you liked him so much was that you had that in common? I suppose, I've been wrong before, but I really thought you had!

Phil Mondy said...

Unfortunately no photos this time. I will definitely get some next time, and I may even add a picture that Jeff had of a brown trout just for the visual.

I have never actually been fly fishing before, but you are right that I have talked about it before. One time when I was up there we took a pole and I got to try casting for a bit. In my mind I went fishing that time, but now I realize that I really didn't :)

mm said...

A weird coincidence, speaking of A River Runs Through It... This weekend I went to a folk music festival down in Boonville, MO, and there was a duo there, the Cantrells. And they just happened to mention that they appeared in A River Runs Through It, playing music (maybe at the community dance where the older brother meets the girl he eventually marries?) They said they were on screen so briefly you had to hit the pause button to actually recognize them...!

The Cantrells have a myspace page, and I see from it that they will be in Cape Girardeau for several appearances in September. :)

Aunt Malia

Phil Mondy said...

I do like that movie by the way. My understanding is that true fly fishermen despise that movie because it is unrealistic, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not a true fly fisherman :)

Unknown said...

Well... to clarify. We don't exactly "despise" the movie. I like it quite a bit, but you are correct that there are some pretty unrealistic fly-fishing parts in it. Like shadow casting, for example, I think the only thing you'd accomplish by doing that is hooking yourself in the ear.
Hollywood pretty much does that with everything.
-jeff