Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Healthy Breakfast

Check this breakfast shake idea out. We have been making these for breakfast and end up with more energy and feel healthier all day. The idea came from a place we visited in Thailand called Healthy Breakfast.

1 TBSP red beans
1 TBSP steamed carrots
2 TBSP pearl barley (cooked)
1 TBSP frozen spinach
1 whole mushroom
1 scoop of protein powder (we use soy)
1 banana
1 apple (sliced)
1/4 cup frozen fruit (any kind)
2 tsps flax seed (ground)
1 cup water
1 cup ice

Some ingredients vary, depending on what we run out of, but the top 6 items stay the same.

We are busy people, and have high stress at work many days. Anything that can give us a better start to the day is much appreciated as the week goes by. I don't know how long we will keep this as our breakfast routine, but after a couple months we are addicted.

6 comments:

Malia said...

two questions... does it taste good? is it whole flax seed or ground?

I've been looking for a good breakfast shake! Yay! You guys could come up before work one day (say around 4am?) we can have breakfast!

Phil Mondy said...

Good questions. The flax seed is ground, and it actually tastes great. The vegetables are not really flavorful, so the protein powder and fruit overpower them and it tastes sweet.

It is kind of a good way to get yourself to eat vegetables.

I've also updated the recipe to include a mushroom (which I just forgot).

mm said...

And I have a question -- what flavor on the protein powder? Most of them are vanilla or chocolate flavored; do you have an unflavored brand?

I expect, like you said, that the fruit flavors overpower the veggie flavors...

I have a favorite brand of protein, Jay Robb's Whey Protein -- it has various flavors including my fave, Pina Colada!! Put a banana in with it, and maybe some crushed pineapple, and oh my, it's good! I bet you could add the extra stuff (veggies and grains) from your shake recipe without affecting the taste that much...

Anyway -- back to my question -- do you use a flavored or unflavored protein powder? :)

Phil Mondy said...

Yes we have used both chocolate and vanilla flavored protein. The powder is sweet enough to overpower the vegetables too if you want to to go light on the fruits.

I used to get tired about an hour after a fruit smoothy, and about 10 minutes after a protein shake. So i never drank them much. I don't have that effect with these shakes. So far its actually better for my energy than breakfast foods too.

Unknown said...

Yummmmmm! Phil! That sounds delicious!

Malia said...

Update:
Tried it this morning. AMAZING!