Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Advocate For Simplicity

I am attempting to change my personal value system in a way that opposes consumerism (trendy right now, I know). In short, I am beginning to value simplicity for simplicity's sake.

Practically speaking, this means I may do some unusual things. If I have an extra item, I may just give it away. Even if the one I have might wear out in six months. I'd rather just own what I need. If I win the lottery, I might just put the money in a foundation to be given to the poor. Maybe I'll pay off debts first, but maybe not. Maybe I'll just be content with what I have.

Obviously this is easier said than done, but I think this describes the value shift that is occurring inside me right now. There is something really valuable about simplicity. It is difficult to fathom, but perhaps simplicity could be more valuable than money.

I'm not talking about time. The trade off between money and time has always been at the forefront of my consciousness, partially because of some books I read when in high school. Creating wealth gives a person freedom with time. True. The value I'm developing for simplicity draws on this concept, but is a much different value that just time.

I'm not talking about fulfillment at work. People should be able to work in an industry that they are passionate about working in. Again, I see this value as related, but simplicity is a value all by itself and is separate from fulfillment at work.

Richard Foster convinced me. He wrote this book about simplicity 20 years ago that still is very relevant today called Freedom of Simplicity. I don't buy into everything of course, but the main theme is really good. The first half of the book is very academic and boring to me, but the second half made me really think about this stuff.

I'd like to be an advocate for simplicity as well. I'd like to talk about it more because I think it really could make life more fun and fulfilling.

No comments: